Q: Exhaust fumes leaking into the car

I have had a problem recently with my 2008 Kia Optima leaking exhaust fumes up into the cabin while I am driving down the road. The car is pretty new still and I have only put 48,000 miles on since new. I know this is a problem somewhere near the engine by the sound of it. What is the fastest way to diagnose the problem part? I don’t want to replace the whole exhaust.

This concern could be caused by a cracked exhaust manifold. Is the Check Engine light on? If so, a certified, local mechanic, like one with YourMechanic, could diagnose the problem with a scan tool. Due to the poisonous nature of exhaust gas, I wouldn’t recommend trying to track this leak down on your own. There are a number of procedures that professional mechanics can use to track down exhaust leaks and exhaust fume penetration into the interior of the vehicle.