Q: Is it ok to use green antifreeze in a vehicle that uses orange antifreeze

Is it ok to use green antifreeze in a vehicle that uses orange antifreeze

Hi there:

In short; NO - it’s not a good idea to mix these two. Most of the antifreeze products on the market currently are ethylene glycol base material with additives to prevent corrosion, lubricate seals and water pumps and aid in heat transfer to the coolant from the metal of the engine. The basic formula and most common is the "green" antifreeze. An alternative to tradition green antifreeze is a product currently used by many engine manufacturers. "Orange" antifreeze is a long life or extended life type of antifreeze used to increase the useful life of engine coolant.The difference between the two colors is that orange antifreeze contains a different type of corrosion inhibitor that has a much longer service life than silicates, phosphates and borates. However, these two should never be mixed or combined. If you’re going to swap, you’ll need to completely flush the radiator coolant first.

• Is it ok to use green antifreeze in a vehicle that uses orange antifreeze