Q: Power loss, check engine light comes on and off

My car doesn't seem to have the power it used to have. The dashboard occasionally shows the check engine light on as well. I haven't noticed that the car is overheated. The steering wheel seems to be out a bit, but not significantly. Is the engine itself the problem or is it something minor that I could easily fix?

It seems you have a few things going on. As far as the steering issue goes, this may be fixed by having the vehicles suspension alignment adjusted. Next, have an experienced technician, like one from YourMechanic, scan the vehicle and read the fault codes. The code is usually stored even after the light has turned off. The trouble code may set you on the right path to diagnosing the power loss. Otherwise make sure the maintenance has been kept up. Oil changes, ignition tune, and air filters to start.