Q: Clutch wont disengage 1993 Ford Ranger

asked by on December 28, 2016

I'm unable to shift in any gear, not even a littls bit. Only shifts when motor is shut off. Shortly after purchase i needed a new clutch so I bought a clutch kit and surprisingly a friend and I succeeded in Swapping the clutch disc and pressure plate. I didn't replace/resurface my flywheel cus wear was minimal, neither the pullout bearing cus tool I rented was to big and was looked ok. slave cylinder+throwout bearing are inseparable and inside the bell houseing... the throw out bearing looked burnt with rust and hardly moved when i tried spinning it. Instead of stoping to wait until i could replace the part i just put the tranny back on. I also learned my clutch pedal had been soft since i bought it extremely soft, I assumed all clutchs had a unique feel and never rhought twice of it. Found a leak in the master cylinder so im replacing the whole thing tomorrow. .

Whats all reasons clutch wont disengage/shift? The clutch disc goes springs facing pressure plate and flat side facing flywheel right?

Clutch is not fully disengaging Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - first off, yes, the clutch disc "spring side" faces the pressure plate. Second - several problem could be causing the clutch to fail to disengage. A frozen, or failing pilot bearing can cause the same symptom as a clutch that will not disengage, because it is engaged with the transmission input shaft. Weak or malfunctioning clutch hydraulics can keep the clutch from disengaging, causing the symptoms you are experiencing. Repairing clutch hydraulics first, of course, will be less expensive than disassembling the engine/transmission to get to the clutch. For assistance, I would recommend a clutch function inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.