Q: The car cannot be started, engine jumps

asked by on February 10, 2017

My car has been sitting for a while and when I tried to start it up the other day, it just wouldn't start. I filled it with oil and gas. I had the spark plugs changed. It didn't help. Also, I put oil in the flap that accelerator controls but to no avail. I checked the battery and the starter and these parts are working fine. The engine however sounds bad when I try to start the car. It jumps and sounds as if it would fire, but it cannot be started. What could be causing this?

I’m wondering how it ran last time you drove it. When you say it sounds bad when you try to start it it makes me think you may have a broken timing belt. That will make the engine crank at an inconsistent speed as well as not start. What’s up with the "put oil in the accelerator flap"? To try and start your Saturn it needs a fully charged battery, some fresh gas, and clean, dry spark plugs. It sounds like you could use some help by getting a mechanic to come out there this time.