Q: My car cranks over, but won't start, or even sound like it might.

Drove for about forty minutes. Shut it off, and came back a couple of hours later and it wouldn't start. Cranks over fine. New battery. Recently changed the thermostat and housing. A week later and this happens. Researched the problem and came up with something from one source regarding the coolant temperature sensor, and another that suggested a bad fuel pressure regulator. I need my car, and need to know for sure what parts to buy.
The spark plugs are dry and the oil smells like fuel. My car has 189000 miles.

Hello, It sounds like you may have a bad fuel pressure regulator or potentially a leaking or faulty fuel injector. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to run a fuel pressure test to determine what maybe causing this. Often times a failing fuel pressure regulator will cause the fuel pressure to drop substantially resulting in the car not running properly as you describe.

Hello. Oil smelling like fuel is a sign that the engine is flooded and it is not receiving the proper spark to burn the fuel. Therefore I would look towards something like a distributor being bad or faulty crank position sensor first to determine the cause of your no start condition. A technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to test/inspect your distributor, your crank position sensor, and even the coolant temperature sensor you’ve mentioned. You are able to view pricing, find a technician, and schedule an appointment for your no start condition here https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection

3. My car cranks over, but won't start, or even sound like it might.