Q: Wheel studs breaking off when changing tire

My tire went flat while driving on the highway. I went to remove the tire and 3 of the studs were stripped. Destroyed all three. I'm using the same lug wrench I've always used. This happened on the other front passenger side a week ago. I'm not sure what's happening, I'm doing nothing different. Is it possibly user error on my part using a different size lug wrench. I have a 4-way and 2 fit the lugs

Hey there:

Thanks for writing in to YourMechanic.com. Breaking a wheel stud is commonly not caused by the way you’re removing them, or the tool you are using. Lug nuts are supposed to go onto a stud smoothly, and come off just as smooth - even if you use a larger sized wrench to remove. Using the wrong sized wrench or socket to remove lug nuts will cause them to strip, but usually not break the studs. What usually causes a stud to break is that the lug nut has been cross threaded when the tire was last removed and reinstalled. It can also happen due to rusted wheel studs and lug nuts as well.

If I were you, I’d contact a local ASE certified mechanic and have them replace all your wheel studs and install new lug nuts; to be on the safe side.

3. Wheel studs breaking off when changing tire