Q: Random exploding sunroof is unsafe

I love my 2013 Mazda CX-5 and have put 28,000 miles on it since I bought it. But I thought someone was shooting at me the other night when, out of nowhere, my sunroof explodes and rains glass behind my car on the freeway. It was terrifying, I am so lucky I had the cover to the sunroof shut. Obviously I am going to replace it, but is there a chance the part was defective? I don’t think anything hit the glass.

Hello, A moonroof (commonly confused with sunroof) is a retractable glass pane rather than a retractable piece of metal (sunroof). Since the glass broke it would be difficult to determine if there was an impact that would have caused it to shatter. If the whole pane was there then it could be inspected for an impact. The only ones who can determine if there was a defect is the dealership. Like all glass on modern cars the glass is made thinner to reduce the overall weight of the vehicle and is more prone to shattering upon impact because it is tempered auto glass. After you have the moonroof glass replaced to add a sense of security, you can have a clear or really light tint film applied to the inside of moonroof glass to keep the glass from entering the cabin.