Q: Car burning oil.

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car is eating oil. It runs perfect, works really quiet, pulls like crazy. There is no white or blue smoke coming out of exhaust but it just burns oil. To be honest it happens when I press the car harder... And yes I don't have a dipstick to measure oil. What should I do? Should I open the engine or try something else to see what is the problem. Car is e90 BMW. Thanks.

The BMW manufacturer considers 1 quart per 750 miles for normal engines and up to 2.5 quarts on motor sport engines. Under heavy loads the engine will use more oil. This is what BMW says is normal. You should not overfill your engine either. This will cause more oil to be used.

If you are using about 1 to 2 quarts of oil per 1000 miles than there is not much that can be done. If you are using more than this, then the engine would need to be evaluated to see what is causing the excess oil consumption.

YourMechanic can send a qualified technician to your home or business to check your oil level and change your oil if necessary.