Q: Idiling issue

asked by on July 27, 2016

As the car begins to slow down the car idles high to about 1500-2000 rpms and goes down after coming to a complete stop. I also have to apply more force than normal on the brake to slow down. This occurs most of the time. What's the problem?

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The power braking system in your 2012 Toyota Highlander uses an engine vacuum to increase the operators brake pedal effort and applies a higher amount of pressure on the brake assemblies. This function is found in today’s higher performing vehicles.

A high idle can be caused by a vacuum leak causing the engine to increase it’s RPMs and add fuel to compensate for the added air. Have a technician inspect the performance readings with a scanner as the vehicle is running. As a safety precaution I’d recommend having the braking hydraulic system inspected for any failures as well.

If you decide to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose your high idle and braking symptoms firsthand. From there you’ll have a clear idea of what needs to be fixed.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr