Q: I have a 1999 Honda Accord 4 door 180,000 miles no under the hood problems (transmission and engine) just had emissions and other

asked by on February 26, 2017

I have a 1999 Honda Accord 4 door 180,000 miles no under the hood problems (transmission and engine) just had emissions and other test done a few months ago all passed except a catalytic converter problem which needs newer pieces molded on but on other than that it has been treated very well paid 3500 for it last year never had to be put in the shop but a little over 2 weeks the shifter became harder and harder to change from park, drive etc... until one day it got stuck At first the shifter was hard to move into park but it still worked after a while it would not let me move it into park at all....I called a side mechanic he got it to move out of gear back to park but if he didnt do that the car still would be stuck in gear i think it was the shift solenoid was tooken out for it to be moved forward....but the problem was never solved but whatever the shifter problem is it's causing the car to not recognize when it's in park to release the key so the car key is stuck inside key the ign

Hi there. It is very possible that your ignition lock cylinder is damaged; especially if the key gets stuck and the gear is hard to shift. Most ignition systems have a built-in safety device that does not allow the car to shift until the ignition cylinder is pressed forward into the starting position. I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to inspect your Honda for a damaged ignition cylinder to determine if this is the source or your problems.