Q: my car wont shift into second gear when i accelerate, 2008 Dodge Avenger

asked by on August 22, 2016

i noticed yesterday that while i was driving on the highway, that my car wouldn't shift gears while accelerating. it just stayed in first gear. I was going 60 mph but i noticed that the RPMs were around 6000 or so and it was never shifting. I checked the transmission fluid but noticed that it was kinda pinkish. it wasn't bright pink but it wasn't burnt. i didn't know what to think it could be.

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $467.45 Get a Quote
Speed Sensor Replacement $99.07 - $1306.92 Get a Quote
Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Is the Check Engine Light on? You checked the fluid quality, but was it at the proper level? A shifting malfunction can sometimes be caused by a low transmission fluid level from a leak or a failed electrical component of the transmission assembly like a vehicle speed sensor. If you would like to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr