Q: The first gear in my transmission shifts late

As i first go to accelerate my car sounds like a big rig diesel engine and the rpms get to 300rpm before shifting to 2nd moving slowly.

This may be related to a couple of different things such as low transmission fluid, a faulty TCM solenoid, or a bad TCM module. As you may know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all.

The transmission control module (TCM) helps regulate fuel efficiency and power while storing information about the transmission system in its memory. A faulty transmission control module, may cause the car not to increase its speed even when pressing the gas pedal and may respond poorly when you shift the gear into drive. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to it in order for it to perform its function. Other components controlled by the the TCM include a kick down switch, traction control system, and cruise control module. Any of these may also affect the way the transmission control module performs and controls the transmission and the shifting of your car. I would suggest having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to properly diagnose your transmission.