Q: Battery always dies when I park the car

The battery on my 2014 Nissan Rogue dies so often that I now have to carry a battery jumper around with me in the car. It will randomly refuse to start in the morning or when I park it for a long time. How can this be happening since the car has 9,000 miles on it?

A: A weak or dead battery can be frustrating. ...

A weak or dead battery can be frustrating. Before having a technician work on your car, the next time you shut your car off and lock it, wait a minute and then take a walk around the car to check all of the lights on the exterior and interior. Often times a light will be left on and you don’t notice it, especially if you don’t drive at night. If your car is under warranty and the battery has failed, Nissan will replace the battery free or at a prorated charge, so a trip to the dealer would be needed. The dealer should also check the charging system to make sure it is performing correctly. If your dealer replaces the battery, the symptoms return, and the vehicle needs to be jump started, there might be a parasitic draw which needs to be found and repaired to keep the battery from being drained. A parasitic draw can sometimes be tough to find because they are often intermittent. If your vehicle is experiencing a parasitic draw, please note that it may take the dealership a few days to locate the draw due to their complexity to pinpoint.