Q: My car barely shifts gears, so hard to shift , now won't go into park!!

asked by on June 01, 2017

Will my car start in neutral ? I can't get it to shift in park it's really hard to shift, now it won't go in park.

Hi there. Your car has a safety switch on the transmission that will only allow the vehicle to start in park gear with an automatic transmission. If you’re having problems with the shifter, it’s quite possible that either the shifting lever is dirty, or clogged with debris and needs to be cleaned or there is a bracket under the shifter that is damaged. In either case, having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to shift inspection is the best way to resolve this problem.