I have a 98 ford explorer, when I turn the key in the ign...

Q: I have a 98 ford explorer, when I turn the key in the ignition it turns on but when I put it in drive it jerks & shuts off. Help!!

asked by on September 16, 2017

I have a 98 ford explorer, when I turn the key in the ignition it turns on but when I put it in drive it jerks & shuts off. I replace the break fluid and transmission fluid I knew it needed 2 days ago. But yesterday the RPM kept going up & it cuts off soon as I put it in drive. Please help!!!

Hi Rebecca. Thanks for contacting us today in regards to your Ford Explorer. Usually, the type of symptoms you are describing can be caused by a variety of mechanical system issues - ranging from an obstruction of transmission fluid inside the hydraulic lines of the transmission, a vacuum leak or even fuel delivery system faults. When a car jerks or bangs when it’s running, it’s typically the result of an engine misfire or exhaust of vacuum leak. When the car shifts into gear, the engine is put under additional stress or load - so preexisting issues are typically enhanced. Since there are so many different possible sources of this issue, it’s probably best to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an engine is shaking, pulsating or vibrating inspection.