Q: my car feels like it wants to stall when I have to stop at lights

asked by on April 01, 2017

all of a sudden my car acts like it has a hard time not dying when I have to break for a light or stop. It struggles and now the check engine light came on today.

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

Hi there. You may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. Since this valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer, it will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about ~800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve.I might be a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a idle control valve replacement.