Q: Performance issues when driving and idling, RPM dropping abruptly

asked by on October 19, 2016

My 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac has 103k miles and I'm having performance issues when I press gas it feels like I'm hauling a ton of gravel and almost have the gas to the floor and the RPM only reach about 2500-3000..on hills its much much worse..driving at 60 mph my RPMs are 15-1800 when normally around -2000..when I let off the gas the RPMs drop very fast down to almost 500.not a gradual drop..when ideling the rps are low and sounds like at any moment the motor will go dead..but never does..not less than a month ago my transmission was completely rebuilt.I have changed plugs and wires and replaced fuel filter..this helped at first..I guess my next step is the fuel pump witch is going to be a hassle..any ideas on what might be causing my problems before I start the process of replacing g the pump