Q: My fan started running on my car oddly enough and usually when that happens I need antifreeze I put some this morning before headi

asked by on March 23, 2018

My fan started running on my car oddly enough and usually when that happens I need antifreeze I put some this morning before heading and then twenty ministers after driving my check engine light came on and now my fan won’t stop running and is telling me my engine is running hot. Which I think may be a sensor because as soon as I turn my car off, fan turns off automatically. But then soon as I turn my car on engine fan won’t turn off but then when I turn my car off engine shuts off as soon as I turn off my car off like immediately.

I just got a full diagnostic check on my car and nothing came up but radiator and I just got the fixed right after they told me a few weeks ago. I also just got a smog and passed with flying colors. What could be he problem

The fan will run excessively if the engine is too hot. If you are frequently adding antifreeze (more than 3-4 times per year on your model) there is a leak but leaks can be either a cause or a consequence of overheating. If your car is presently overheating, the common faults to look for include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition or exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. An important thing to keep in mind is once an engine has overheated, you should replace your engine cooling thermostat because episodes of overheating can damage the thermostat. If the thermostat is damaged, and left in place, that can set the stage for future cooling system problems. If you desire that your car be inspected and repaired by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.