Q: Does the throttle position sensor and thermostat need to be changed before I take a three hour trip?

When the check engine light came on, I had it checked out and was told the vehicle needs a new throttle position sensor and a new thermostat. I've read for the warning signs for the TPS, and I'm not experiencing any problems as the ones described. The vehicle also isn't overheating. I'd like to visit family three hours away for the holiday. Would it be safe to drive it 3 hours on the highway and 3 hours back? Or would this make the problems worse?

The code for the thermostat is due to the engine coolant is not getting up to operating temperature quick enough and is due to a stuck open thermostat most likely. The TPS code may be an intermittent issue with sensor or wiring. As long as you are not overheating or have problems with running you should have mechanic like one from YourMechanic check the vehicle before going on a long trip to make sure it is safe to drive.

3. Does the throttle position sensor and thermostat need to be changed before I take a three hour trip?