Q: My car doesn't move when in Drive or Reverse when idling

I replaced my brakes yesterday and when I went for the test drive I put it in reverse and normally the idle should move the car a little but it doesn't. When I hit the gas the the car moves but you can hear the pads and rotors grinding. I took the pads off to have a look and the top of the pad on both sides is wearing down but the bottom isn't. The pads are installed correctly.

A: If you pushed the pistons into the calipers...

If you pushed the pistons into the calipers in order to accommodate the new pads, you may now have too much brake fluid in the reservoir. Check that the fluid level in the reservoir is not above the maximum level. If it is, the lack of space above the fluid will tend to keep pressure on the calipers causing the sticking you are experiencing. Carefully adjust fluid level if incorrect. You generally cannot install brake pads on worn (used) rotors because the new pads will quickly wear irregularly. Rotors have to be turned on a brake lathe and/or replaced. If the calipers are original to the car, they should have been replaced as well. At minimum, the sliding pins on the torque plate must be disassembled, cleaned and re-lubricated with a special high temperature grease. All of the foregoing factors could be contributing to the sticking you are experiencing. YourMechanic can provide you with a mobile inspection to fully resolve the issue if you desire.