Q: Vehicle Not Starting/Turning Over

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty. I have been experiencing an electrical/starting problem. The car is intermittently not starting, specifically it is not "turning over" the engine when the key is in the ignition. The problem started this summer in the heat. When left in the sun, the car would not turn over or start, but all the other electric in car works. The battery is new (replaced) this year and all the lights, radio, electrical interior continue to work despite the car not starting. If the car sits for several hours or over night it will then start again. It has now started to occur more frequently in the cold weather. I am unsure if this is an electrical issue, or caused by a fuse, the ignition, starter, solenoid, or alternator. Since the car is 12 years old, I do not want to spend thousands of dollars investigating or fixing the problem, but I would like to fix it if it seems like a simple common problem. Thanks for your help!

Hi there. Regardless of what is failing in the starting circuit, with proper diagnoses, the problem should not run thousands of dollars to repair. It could be, as simple as, a faulty starter relay. The difficult part is, the problem is intermittent and it will have to be a no crank situation at the time of inspection. It could be a poor electrical connection, a faulty ignition switch, a faulty starter. I recommend having your vehicle’s intermittent no crank be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.