Q: Brake dash light comes on and off.

asked by on December 24, 2016

I have a Malibu classic. Brakes replaced 2014, 2015 brakes replaced for free at Firestone because calipers were bad and had to be done, mileage 117,338. Added brake fluid this summer while checking fluids. Coming home from work, 12/21 made a hard right swerve to avoid being hit by a car. Started car in am 12/22 and brake light in dash came on. Drove to and from work with it going on and off. Added fluid 12/24, went to Pep boys and they said Firestone put one wrong size caliper on car (16 inch on a 15 inch tire) and brake fluid was leaking all over the place. To replace calipers, brake hoses, brakes $855. Called Firestone, they said the parts they put on were the correct size. I have appt. with them 12/26. Mileage between Nov 2015 and now is under 9,000. Who is lying? Who is telling the truth? Is something else wrong? Also their 40,000 mile tires have under 39,000 and they won't pass the "penny" test. I can't afford $$$ going back and forth to these places. Senior female, please help.

This year model of vehicle does have several caliper applications depending on specifics such as a 15" tire, 16" , whether is has rear drum and so forth and they all may bolt up in a similar way, but do not function the same. It is possible the wrong calipers were installed and if they were leaking brake fluid this can cause the low fluid level warning light to come on. Actual tire wear may not always meet the claim especially if the tires have not been rotated consistently or the alignment was not kept near perfect for during the life of the tires. Weather, tire pressure and rough roads also have an effect on tire wear. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come to you and inspect the causes of your warning lights as well as the rest of the vehicle for any concerns and estimate the proper repairs.