Q: How often to change struts

How often do you suggest changing struts on a car? I live in LA and the streets are crap here.

A: I thought streets are bad in Houston but I ...

I thought streets are bad in Houston but I guess some places are even worse. It depends on how they are worn out and the car type. Some cars have stronger struts. Take Toyotas for example, they come with pretty good factory struts and I’ve seen some of them with a few thousand miles that are still working okay. That said, I have a video "how to tell if your struts are worn out." Check it out and it will show you everything you need to check. You can bounce on them and see if they bounce. Watch them with a flash light and see if the seals are starting to leak oil or if any oil is leaking on them, then you’ll need to replace them. There is no actual mileage, and of course, if you hit a lot of big potholes all the time, that is going to bang and they are going to wear out faster that way, too. Check them for leaks and make sure that, as soon as they start leaking, you have them replaced. If you need a qualified technician to replace the struts for you, a professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to service your car.