Q: Unable to shift into gear

My Cavalier is an automatic and I am unable to shift into gear. I believe the gear shift lever, T-handle, is broken.

Hello. If the shifter will not move than that is typically a failure in the shift interlock which keeps the shifter locked in park until the brakes are applied. See if the brake lights are working. If they are not then the problem is the brake switch. If the lights work then there is a circuit issue. Most of the time if the switch is fine then there is a wiring issue where it enters the shifter. The wires tend to break here. A mechanic would need to take the shifter apart in order to test the wiring. I recommend having a professional mechanic test your transmission to see what repairs are needed to get your car functioning like normal again.

3. Unable to shift into gear