Q: Should I replace the timing belt?

i just purchased a 2003 toyota 4runner(4x4) with 139000 miles, i cant tell if the timing belt needs to be replaced or not, is it better to be safe than sorry..?

Your engines timing belt is recommended to be replaced every 90,000 miles. If you cannot find proof that the timing belt was replaced at 90,000 miles then I would recommend timing belt be replaced. This engine is an interference motor and this means that if the timing belt breaks the engine may bent the valves inside the engine causing major engine damage. This is why I would recommend having the timing belt inspected and replaced.