Q: Does the VIN number have to be in the ECM for the vehicle to run?

I replaced the ECM with one I purchased from Solo Auto Electronics. I installed it and now it's giving me a check engine light with no codes. I took it to a Dodge dealership and when they tested it, it wasn't showing that the VIN was programmed into the ECM. I called back to Solo and they told me the it had been flashed and if the VIN wasn't in it, it wouldn't even start. Is that true?

A: Some new ECMs will give you a certain amoun...

Some new ECMs will give you a certain amount of free starts before it will not start unless the VIN is added. I am not sure if this is the case with your ECM but you have a dealer telling you the VIN is not in the ECM and it should be. If you want a fresh pair of eyes on the issue, have one of our mobile technicians come to your home and diagnose your no start condition firsthand.