Q: Does the VIN number have to be in the ECM for the vehicle to run?

asked by on October 18, 2016

I replaced the ECM with one I purchased from Solo Auto Electronics. I installed it and now it's giving me a check engine light with no codes. I took it to a Dodge dealership and when they tested it, it wasn't showing that the VIN was programmed into the ECM. I called back to Solo and they told me the it had been flashed and if the VIN wasn't in it, it wouldn't even start. Is that true?

Some new ECMs will give you a certain amount of free starts before it will not start unless the VIN is added. I am not sure if this is the case with your ECM but you have a dealer telling you the VIN is not in the ECM and it should be. If you want a fresh pair of eyes on the issue, have one of our mobile technicians come to your home and diagnose your no start condition firsthand.