Hi I have a 2004 2.4L automatic Hyundai Sonata. I change ...

Q: Hi I have a 2004 2.4L automatic Hyundai Sonata. I change the timing belt as it has chewed teeth. I also change the headgasket and

asked by on March 19, 2017

Hi I have a 2004 2.4L automatic Hyundai Sonata. I change the timing belt as it has chewed teeth. I also change the head gasket and the 2 exhaust valves on number 4 cylinder. Changed the crank sensor as it had been destroyed by the teeth that were in the timing cover. All back together and I have compression and fuel but no spark. I have checked the crank sensor installation and it is running correctly ie the sensor plate is the right way around and is running correctly through the sensor magnetic field. Ive checked all the timing marks and everything lines up on TDC after numerous revolutions. The crank sensor only has .3 Volts coming from the PCM at the connector to the CKS which I think is the problem as I believe I read it should be around 5 Volts. so it all cranks etc but no spark at the plugs. Any suggestions?

My car has 147000 Kms

Hi there. Since you completed so many different repairs, it unfortunately opens the door to multiple possible issues that might be the source of your hard to start issue. The first thing I would do is knock off the easy checks; by verifying that all electrical connections, fuel and / or vacuum lines are correctly attached. If everything checks out there, I would either replace the wiring harness to the crankshaft position sensor or check the output from the PCM. Most of the time when crankshaft position sensor issues exist, it’s the wiring harness itself that is faulty. Try those steps and if you still need a hand diagnosing your problem, feel free to contact one of our mobile mechanics and they can come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection.