Q: Car sputtering while idle.

asked by on February 20, 2017

After running errands yesterday, my car started sputtering. I drove the short distance home. It seemed to sputter most while idle. After reading many sites, I was reminded that it can take a little longer to get up to speed while driving uphill on the highway. A friend suggested that it may be a spark plug issue. Any idea?

Hello there. Typically a sputtering engine is an indication of a misfiring cylinder. There are many component failures that can cause this issue, ranging from a damaged or worn out spark plug, spark plug wire, coil, distributor, rotor or other ignition system components. Fuel system issues like a clogged or faulty fuel injector may also cause this to occur. The best way to diagnose this issue is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete an engine is misfiring inspection.