Q: Stays idling when I put it in gear, and the car doesn't move. When forced into any gear without the clutch, the car does not shut off.

My cars stays idle when put into gear, whenever I try to take off it doesn't move, when I force the car into any gear without using the clutch the car doesn't shut off

Hi there. The clutch may be worn and slipping causing the engine to stay running as the shifter is put into a gear selection. If the clutch was working, when put into gear and let off the clutch pedal, the vehicle will either move or stall out the engine. Check the slave cylinder and see if the return spring has broken off causing the clutch fork to stay engaged. Also the clutch adjuster cable could be out of adjustment or damaged. If the pedal and hydraulic assembly has no issues, then I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your clutch.

• Stays idling when I put it in gear, and the car doesn't move. When forced into any gear without the clutch, the car does not shut off.