Q: I had the oil changed three weeks ago but the "change engine oil soon" light just came on. It is only on for a few minutes and t

asked by on May 20, 2017

I had the oil changed 3 weeks ago but today the "change oil soon" light came on. Why would this happen? No issues such as a leak was brought to my attention at the time of the oil change.

Hi there. Typically a warning light like this will illuminate based on mileage set by the ECU. If the service was completed prior to the warning light being triggered, it’s possible that the person doing the change forgot to clear the service records. You can attempt to clear this code by following this process. First, turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine. Second, fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds. If the CHANGE OIL SOON indicator flashes two times, the system is reset. If the CHANGE OIL SOON indicator comes on and stays on for five seconds, try to reset the system again. If this doesn’t resolve your issue, feel free to have one of our mobile mechanics complete a warning light inspection to help you resolve the problem.