Q: The left wheel on the rear end lock up

My car has a limited slip differential on it. When I drive the car and start turning left, the back wheel on my car gets locked. However, after completing the turn, it would get unlocked and roll normally. This also occurs when I'm making a turn while reversing. This issue causes tire skidding. There are no problems when I'm making a right turn though. The issue occurs frequently. What should I do?

A: Hello there. This is not uncommon on the Ch...

Hello there. This is not uncommon on the Chevy K2500. There are a few possible causes for the wheel to get locked. The most likely would be low differential fluid, differential side gears, a ring and pinion failure, or a failing limited slip unit. The first thing checked will be the level and condition of the differential fluid.

The differential fluid can tell you a lot about what is going on, and if the fluid level is low, or the fluid is full of metallic flakes or is burnt, then these all would lead to different directions for diagnosis. I recommend having a qualified technician inspect the locked wheel in person in order to have this corrected.