Q: What is shift lock release?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What is shift lock release?

Most automatic transmissions come equipped with a solenoid designed to prevent the transmission from being moved out of park of the brake isn’t pressed. However, if the brake light switch malfunctions, the battery fails or the solenoid fails, you may find yourself unable to shift out of park. Here’s how to use the shift lock release.

1. Make sure the ignition is locked.

2. Set the parking brake.

3. Locate the shift lock release cover at the top left of the gearshift cover. Pry it off using a small flathead screwdriver or similar tool.

4. Slide the screwdriver into the release slot and press it down.

5. Move the gearshift from park to neutral.

6. Press the brake pedal and start the engine.

7. Drive normally.

Tip

If you still can’t get the car out of park, you’ll need to have it inspected.