Q: Car jerking when switching gears

The AT light for the automatic transmission is coming on, and the car jerks when I switch gears.

A: The illumination of a dashboard warning lig...

The illumination of a dashboard warning light means that a vehicle system has detected a fault. In many cases, the vehicle can be scanned for fault codes and data concerning the system. Your symptoms lead me to believe that there may be a failure regarding your automatic transmission function, which may be caused by something as simple as a sensor, or as serious as a failing pressure solenoid inside the transmission. Have a certified mobile mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, run a detailed inspection to diagnose the source of your AT Light, and recommend the best path to repair.