Q: The oil pressure light is blinking.

I have a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta with just under 41k miles and my oil pressure light just started blinking today. I just got an oil change about 600 miles ago from Midas and they changed it again today with a new filter. The oil level is right in the middle and there is no uncommon noise and the motor isn't running any different than normal. I'm going to take it to the dealer but I wanted to get a feel for the different things that could be causing it so I don't shell out a ton of money without checking the smaller things first.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Hi There, This light will usually come on when one of two things are happening. Either the motor is in fact low on oil or the oil pressure sending unit is not working properly and may be producing a faulty reading. I would recommend first, to check the actual oil level in the motor by using the dipstick. Be sure the oil level reaches the "full" mark. If this registers as "full" then you likely have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your low oil pressure light to come on.

3. The oil pressure light is blinking.