Q: Car has CVT transmission, can't afford to replace, can I just replace the entire motor with a used one with different trans?

My car has a CVT transmission, and I can't afford to spend $6200+ to have it replaced. Mechanic tested car and came back as the hydraulic pressure unit and said the only way to fix the problem is either by replacing transmission or entire motor. Can the motor be any motor with a regular transmission, or must it be another motor with a CVT specifically?

Hello. If you wanted to replace the motor and transmission, you would have other problems like the wire harnesses and ECM modules among other problems to do the swap correctly. You may be better off replacing the transmission with a remanufactured one. A job like this would be expensive either way, so you may also want to consider whether you want to invest more money in this car or whether you should start looking at other options.

3. Car has CVT transmission, can't afford to replace, can I just replace the entire motor with a used one with different trans?