car is overheating. When driving temp creeps up and when ...

Q: car is overheating. When driving temp creeps up and when idle it slowly goes down. smells like antifreeze when turned off

asked by on August 24, 2017

Was driving my car and ac started blowing warm air then temp in car shot all the way up. Turned ac off and pulled over to let car cool. When driving car home temp would creep up while car was moving but would slowly go down when idle at a stoplight. When I turned car off it smelled like antifreeze and there was a small leak under car by left front tire

To pinpoint the cause of the overheating, an overheating diagnostic is required. Be sure not to drive the car if it is overheating because overheating can warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition or exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.