Q: Car won't stay in park and I have to use a lot of force to try to get it to turn on.

asked by on July 14, 2017

I have a 2004 land rover discovery II and lately I've been having trouble. I turn it off in park, but turning it off is a struggle. I have to put as much pressure as I can manage on the shifter to turn the red light on to show it's in park, and take out the key. But I also have to put a lot of pressure when I'm trying to turn it on to make it say it's in park, but it doesn't roll away or anything. It won't let me turn it on without it.

Hi there. Land rovers are notorious for having this problem after 10 years or so. In most cases, it’s a problem with the actual shifter, with the shift gate being either damaged or clogged with excessive debris. To determine the exact problem, it’s best to have a professional mechanic complete a car is hard to shift inspection at your location.