Q: Truck has oil in it but when i am idling at a stoplight, the oil pressure gauge drops and says low oil 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L

when i crank my vehicle,the oil pressure gauge reads fine, but when it has been ran, at a stoplight the oil pressure gauge drops and when i accelerate or rev the engine the oil pressure gauge goes up and when i let off the gas while sitting still, the oil pressure drops again.i have checked the oil and it has plenty in it

Hello - assuming an adequate oil level, which you have checked, there may be a real oil pressure problem. It’s worth checking with a know working oil pressure gauge, so that you can get the real readings (i.e. 40 psi at running RPM, 10 psi at idle - both hot - would be acceptable). It’s expected that your oil pressure will drop at a hot idle, as long as you have good pressure above idle. Low hot pressures all around are indications of excessive connecting rod or crankshaft main bearings, camshaft bearings, or oil flow bleeding off elsewhere in the engine. For professional assistance, I recommend a low oil pressure inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Truck has oil in it but when i am idling at a stoplight, the oil pressure gauge drops and says low oil 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L