Q: Engine won't run - 2012 Buick Lacrosse

asked by on November 17, 2016

There was a light knocking in the engine and took the car to a shop and they recommended an oil system flush. The next day I was backing into a parking spot and the car died and engine locked up. Maintenance light came on that said service the charging system. I got the engine unlocked with a breaker bar so it's turning now. Battery was completely drained after a couple of hours. When I push the start button to start the car, the car turns on and it clicks 1 time, kind of sounds like it may be coming from the transmission area, all lights work, you can shift the car into all gears just fine but the engine will not turn over. I just had the starter tested today and it is working properly. All spark plugs are good, just had an oil system flush and oil change and has a full tank of gas. What could be causing this issue?

Hi there. Having to use a breaker bar, to free the engine from being locked-up, does not sound promising. Removing the serpentine belt, would eliminate an accessory component (ie; seized alternator) that may be preventing the engine from turning over. Assuming, the battery is fully charged, the starter is good, and the connections are clean and tight, would lead me to believe the engine may have an internal issue. The light engine knock may have developed. I recommend having your vehicle’s engine’s cranking issue be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.