Q: Loud humming sound

Around 2 months ago, my car started having a loud humming sound. This happens only when I’m driving the car. It gets louder, the faster I drive. I was told that it’s probably the wheel bearings that need to be replaced. I would like to replace them myself. Would you be able to give me detailed instructions on how many wheel bearings there are and how to replace them?

Hello. Yes, from what you described, it does sound like this is an issue with the wheel bearings. You can find instructions for replacing the wheel bearings on this page. If the problem persists after you have had this repaired, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the noise and have this corrected.