Q: I am getting the code p0172 and I need to know what can I do to fix it?

asked by on December 14, 2016

What do I have to do to fix a problem in my Colorado when I am getting the code p0172

Hi there. Are there any other codes stored? A P0172 (system rich detected) is stored when the O2 sensor detects a lower than specification level of oxygen in the exhaust. There could be many reasons this is occurring from weak spark, excessive fuel pressure, leaking injectors, failing airflow meter, failing map sensor, to a stuck O2 sensor; the list can go on into mechanical failures as well including the variable valve timing. Data from a capable scan tool would be very helpful to compare to specifications. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a check engine light inspection.