Q: Car overheating after only a few blocks

My car's radiator is overheating. I think it is either from the fan or the thermostat not working. The car starts up, but can only be driven a few blocks before overheating.

A: If the engine is overheating, then the cool...

If the engine is overheating, then the coolant level should be checked. The system may be low or may have an air bubble trapped in the system. Please note that the cooling system should never be opened or checked while the engine is hot or the system is pressurized, or serious injury can occur. A faulty water pump not circulating coolant, a stuck closed thermostat, or fan that is not coming on all can be possible causes of the overheating. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who will have the equipment and expertise to diagnose the overheating issue and then repair and fill/bleed the cooling system. They run a performance test to ensure the cooling is performing optimally.