Q: Battery died

asked by on February 19, 2016

My battery died. What would be some reasons why?

Hello! A battery may die for a number of reasons. In old age, a battery will lose its ability to recharge, which, by definition, makes the battery bad. An alternator is part of the car’s electrical system, and is built to recharge the battery. If the alternator fails, a battery won’t have any way of recharging. The battery may have also died because something was left on, or there is what is known as a parasitic draw, draining the battery. A parasitic draw is something that continues to drain the battery even after it is switched off.

I suggest having the battery, as well as the alternator, tested to help determine exactly why your battery died. You may benefit from a mobile automotive service, such as YourMechanic, whose technicians will come to the vehicle’s location.