Q: Air compressors and air suspension fail

The air compressors that raise my SUV up and down were defective. Also, the warning light came on for the air suspension. I took the SUV to the auto repair shop and they replaced the compressors. A few months later, the air compressors that are related to the air suspension failed again. Can you tell me what I can explain to an auto repair shop that they can do to permanently fix this?

This is a common fault that is found with vehicles that have air suspension. Though the compressors were most likely bad the first time, there is another problem causing them to fail. The most common would be a leak in the system or a failed air strut.

When the strut fails or a leak is present, it can cause the air compressors to never shut off as they try to compensate for the leak which causes them to fail prematurely. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect your suspension system and make a proper diagnosis on the issue.