Q: My car is smoking but not overheating, and burns a lot of oil.

asked by on October 31, 2016

My 2003 Jeep Liberty is smoking but not overheating. There is only smoke coming from the passenger side of the car. It also uses a lot of oil but I read that the oil is a problem with the 3.7L Engine. It usually uses a quart every 2 weeks. There is a burning smell then it starts to overheat. If you have any answers it would very helpful.

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There are two things to look for.

First is the exhaust smoke blue? If it is that indicates that the piston rings are worn and the engine needs to be rebuilt. Oil is leaking by the ring and burning on the combustion stroke causing the blue smoke.

Secondly, you state its only smoking on the passenger side, check and see if the valve cover is leaking and oil dripping down on the exhaust and burning. Check and make sure that the valve cover bolts are snug, if they are then the valve cover gaskets will need to be replaced.

If you’d like to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as we can send a certified technician to you, inspect the smoking conditionn, and make any necessary repairs.