Q: Air bags

asked by on February 16, 2017

My Honda Civic was stolen and then involved in a high speed chase with the police. He hit several cars while speeding then crashed into a pole on front passenger side. All air bags including side airbags deployed except for the front passenger side. No one was in the passenger seat. I just wondered if this was normal or if something could have been wrong with the airbag. He hit the pole going fast.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune involving your car. In almost all "newer" cars, there are sensors in the passenger seat that are designed to de-activate the passenger side air bag system in case a small child is seated in that position. In the 2007 Honda Civic in particular, there is a sensor that monitors the weight on the front passenger’s seat. If the weight is about 65 lbs (29 kg) or less (the weight of an infant or small child), the passenger’s front airbag will be turned off. Obviously, if no one was sitting in the front passenger seat, the system worked as intended and the air bag did not deploy. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.