Q: How many crankshaft position sensors are on a 2011 GMC Terrain?

asked by on October 20, 2016

my car was hesitating to accelerate and even stalled a few times while on my way to work. i stopped by the advanced auto parts parking lot and turned the vehicle off then back on again and noticed the engine light illuminated. had the auto parts store clerk run a scan and we received the error code indicating a problem with the camshaft position sensor. i was about to just buy the part since it appeared to be an easy swap, but unfortunately forgot my wallet so have to go back tomorrow. was doing some research on the issue and read some threads where some ppl replaced 2 sensors in a 2012 model. however i couldn't find any specifics about how many sensors are on the 2011 model i have.

Usually there will only be one crankshaft position sensor. However, there is also a camshaft position sensor as well. It is more likely that there is multiple cam sensors than crank sensors. It is possible for engines to have anywhere from one to four camshafts but all engines have only one crankshaft.

I would recommend enlisting in the assistance of a qualified professional to test the integrity of these sensors on your vehicle. If these sensors are malfunctioning, I would recommend replacing any sensors that are faulty. It is also possible that wiring issues or PCM issues may exist. Be sure to have these issues addressed as well during the inspection.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the Check Engine Light further and help you replace your camshaft position sensor as necessary.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr