Q: Engine is cranking but not starting, car is stuck in park, & timing belt won't move, Car slowed then stoped. Need help.

The engine is cranking but the car is not starting. I Replaced camshaft sensor, spark plugs & boots & recharged the battery. The car is stuck in park and the timing belt will not move. I was driving on the freeway and the car was fine then all of a sudden it started losing power and the battery light came on along with the oil light the car then slowly stopped. The battery and alternator are​ fine and the oil level is good. The car then locked in park and will not shift out. When you try to start the car it wants to turn over but isn't. the car is throwing code P0340 twice, however, I changed the camshaft position sensor and the car is still throwing the codes. I checked the timing belt and it looked nice. I am not sure what else to do. There was no warning just loss of power. Is there another reason the car won't start and it would be throwing a P0340? The car did not stop abruptly it just slowed down then stopped. Not sure what it is.

If the timing belt does not move as you crank the engine, the belt is likely broken or is slipping on the gears. An inoperable timing belt will prevent the engine from starting. If the belt is moving, just be sure it has not slipped and that the engine is properly timed. If the belt is OK, it is likely that one of the typical faults that causes trouble code P0430 is preventing your car from starting. Some of the common causes of Diagnostic Trouble Code P0340 include camshaft position sensor circuit wiring that is broken, shorted, or corroded; a camshaft position sensor circuit connector that is broken, shorted, or corroded; a faulty camshaft position sensor; a failed crankshaft position sensor; and a faulty PCM (rare). As noted, you should also check to be sure that the timing belt is intact and the valve timing is correct, if not faults there will cause P0340 to set as well. If the timing belt has 60,000 or more miles on it, it should be replaced. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed for you and estimate the repair cost based on the diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Engine is cranking but not starting, car is stuck in park, & timing belt won't move, Car slowed then stoped. Need help.