Q: Loose timing chain

asked by on July 20, 2016

As I was driving I noticed smoke coming from vents on dashboard car was not over heating then it just completely shut down The coolant air bleeder top broke off and antifreeze was everywhere changed that part Car will crank but won't start Was told that the timing chain is loose Is it worth changing the timing chain or is my engine shot?

If you drove your engine until it shut down from overheating, then you may have done engine internal damage to the cylinder heads and head gaskets. I am not saying the engine is shot, but you may have major engine damage. The timing chains being loose would not happen from the overheating of the engine, and this could be from another problem. The no start would need to be checked to see if the coolant went all over it got something wet preventing the no start. Have a mechanic do a diagnostic check in person to determine if a timing chain replacement will be worth doing.